Conference 2003 was very successfully held in Auckland 9–11 December.
- Russell Fairbrother on behalf of George Hawkins, Minister of Internal Affairs.
- Sergeant Mike Beale – N.Z. Police, on the Fire Service’s role in dealing with clandestine drug labs particularly those manufacturing methamphetamine.
Mike noted the very significant increase in the number of these labs being detected. He emphasized the dangers involved, considering the
type and storage of the various chemicals involved.
- Mike Hall, who spoke on the Review of the Fire Service presently underway with an expected outcome of a Fire Service Bill for next year.
- Innotech – This was an Australian Company developing high-tech equipment for firefighters. The presentation covered two products:
- Guardian Communications - This is a radio system able to be connected either directly to a helmet, or to a B.A. face mask.
- Guardian Incident Control Unit - This is a computerized Incident Control System that allows rapid communication of Incident Ground Information.
As well as the usual matters considered (e.g. Protective Clothing, Occupational Health & Safety), a matter of concern raised by Delegates was the
operation of the Fire Service
Claims Management Unit, arising out of the A.C.C. Partnership Programme.